Thursday, July 2, 2015

Tornado...!

June 29, 2015

Dear Family,

I actually really like getting email from the family through the week. I check every day. It's not distracting at all. I check it when Elder Lynch and I are updating the AreaBook Planner App at the church. In "The District" you see the missionaries use paper planners and area books. With the iPads they gave us an app that combines both digitally. They actually have videos of how to use the app on Gospel Library. They're confusing and not very well made but at least you'll get an idea of the tools we have now. The videos should be under the Missionary section in Gospel Library. 

It's been pretty hot lately. I still don't like humidity. I don't have anything too profound this week. It was a harder week than most. That's because I'm growing and Satan doesn't like it. That's just further proof that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Corydon was kinda rough this week. I've had more people question/mock/persecute the Church and my beliefs this week than I've had my entire mission. The weather was also kinda rough. Over the past few nights there have been pretty strong storms and apparently one of them was an F1 tornado that went right by our apartment. There were some pretty good sized limbs and trees that were broken and on the ground. One limb in particular was about a foot and a half wide. That thing snapped right where it attached to the tree. It was literally just behind our apartment. I won't go into the people part since this email would just be full of complaints. *sigh*... I just don't like the larger presence of negativity this week. 

I think I know why this week was more negative than others. Lately, the mission leaders have been putting an emphasis on being bold. Being bold is both a strength and a weakness on my part. I'm bold with large crowds but much less so with individuals or small groups. With that, I read somewhere that being bold is a spiritual gift you can pray for. So I did. And the first time I tried that I got a lot more negativity than normal. I don't consider that a coincidence. As frustrating as it is, it's all a learning experience. I'm still keeping my head level and I'm still having just as much fun as ever in the mission field. This week has just been rougher than normal since Satan realizes I'm trying to grow in ways he's not very happy with. In the words of Elder Spaulding "Man... I hate Satan!"

There were some pretty funny things that happened. Elder Lynch was helping someone get a bee out of their car and he did that by using his planner to swat it. The bee was stuck to it. Another funny thing was Elder Lynch and I went to Subway and their soda machine was completely out. Everything tasted like soda water/club soda. Elder Lynch said "Well, that's just a sign you need to let up on soda." 

I still don't like dogs. Just last night I went to a member who has the huge dog. That thing was jumping all over me and it wouldn't go away. I'll have to get pictures of the thing next time I go over which as far as I know, will be next week. 

Sorry for the short email this week. Pictures are on the way

Thank you,

-Elder Ben

Sister Brough, Elder Lynch, Elder Cox, President Brough
at Mission Home, April 14, 2015
The best peanut butter in existence.
When you go to Elder Lynch's homecoming, I want you to make a batch of peanut butter bars out
of this peanut butter for him. Any other peanut buttery thing we make as a family
WILL be made out of this peanut butter from now on. 

In the car...

Cool picture
Indiana countryside

More Indiana countryside

Fake babies...
The wife of one of the members here makes these highly realistic, silicone babies for fun.
She charges $2000 for them. Some people buy them for comfort items.
 

Yep, still fake.


No comments:

Post a Comment