Monday, February 8, 2016

Crazy Week!

February 8, 2016

Dear Family,

Goodness! This week was insane! Again I forgot my journal back at the apartment so I'll have to write from memory. This week was so long! So much happened!

Monday
Last P-Day in Campbellsville. It feels like forever ago when I was back there. I got a really nice black button-up sweater from Mitchell's as my last Mitchell's purchase. I mostly packed on Monday

Tuesday
Transfer day. Elder Bennett and I drove the Columbia car up to Eastern Parkway. President Brough just had all the missionaries meet there and transfer without the meeting part. I don't know if that's how we'll do it from now on. I got there. Got my stuff out. Moved it into the car that was taking me to Owensboro and left. An older member drove me to Owensboro. His name was Bro McKinnon. He was a funny old guy. He loves music and Harley Davidson's. He has drums, guitars, harmonicas, and several other instruments. When we got to Owensboro, he took me to Wendy's and then dropped me off at the apartment with the other missionaries in the area. There are 2 sets here. Owensboro bike, and Owensboro Car. I'm in the car area with Elder Passmore. Elders Sorensen and Gough are in the bike area. The bike area covers most of the city, and the car area covers the rest of the ward boundaries. Half is in Kentucky, and the other half is in Indiana. To my surprise, it didn't take me and Elder Passmore long at all to recognize each other. We went to high school together. He was in one of my percussion classes. He was in Marching band too. The rest of the day was basically unpacking and settling in.

Wednesday
Wednesday was filled with introducing me to everyone. It was fun. The members here are great. It's weird to be in a ward, and it's even weirder where the members will come to us and ask us how they can help.


Thursday
This was the game changing day. We started off meeting the bike elders and taking them to a shelter where we do service by giving homeless people some food. It was really fun. A lot of them said "thank you." Later in the day, Elder Gough got sick and needed to stay in. However, a member in the ward needed help with more service. So Elders Passmore and Sorensen went to serve, and I stayed with Gough. While I was with him, he got a call from President Brough telling him that Elder
Sorensen was being Emergency Transferred. That means that Elder Gough, Passmore and I are going to be in a trio until the end of the transfer when President Brough sends someone here.

Friday
District meeting. President Brough came to pick Elder Sorensen up. After they left,we went to Chick Fil A. By the way, Owensboro has just about every food place possible. Papa Johns pizza will be great for my birthday. It's just down the street from us. We even have a Red Lobster. It's been so long since I've eaten there. After Chick Fil A, we moved Gough's stuff to our apartment. That took the rest of the day to make that transition.

Saturday
First full day as a trio. It was weird. A third person makes how we do everything a little different. Teaching's different, contacting's different, and riding in the car is different. Elder Gough wanted to
drive and Passmore wanted to be in the passenger. That means I get a whole back seat to myself! It's the best thing ever having that much space in car rides. We taught one of Gough's investigators, Mr C. His mom is preparing to marry a member. We taught him the Plan of Salvation and it went fantastically. We were able to do a great job at switching off and keeping it simple. We taught more lessons later and the same thing happened. We finished with missionary coordination with the ward mission leader, I forgot what it was like to have a mission leader. The only thing we talked about was who's fellow-shipping which investigators. That was the best missionary coordination I've ever had.

Sunday
I got to meet most of the members on Sunday. They're fantastic. They're all solid, great, Christlike people. It was a great fast and testimony meeting. After church we went to Bro. McKinnon's for a few
minutes. I tuned his drums :). Then we went to the Fuqua's for lunch. Then we went to another dinner appointment with the Abel's. I think this was the first day of my mission I had 2 member meals in the same day. The Abel's are a younger family who both went to BYU Hawaii. They made that place sound like the best place ever.


That was this week from memory. Crazy week. Another thing I forgot to mention, since Elder Passmore is a Spanish speaking missionary, we had several lessons where he did all the talking and I didn't understand anything that was said. We have language study in the morning, Hopefully I'll be able to pick something up.

You're awesome as always. Thanks for the support and thanks for the birthday box in advance! :).

-Elder Benjamin Kohkonen Cox (GKLM)


PS - Here's the address to my new place: 
            703 Princeton Parkway, #9
            Owensboro Kentucky 42301


Chillin' in saran wrap on p-day...
This is why you don't put Elders in a trio :)

No comments:

Post a Comment