Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Transferred... to Owensboro!

February 1, 2016

Dear Family,


I don't have my journal with me so this is entirely from memory. This was a pretty fun last week in Campbellsville. I didn't even know it was my last week until Saturday. Because of the no-transfer meeting rule now, I know where I'm going and who I'm with. I'll be companions with Elder Passmore. He's from Elder Walker's group so he's only been out for about 6 months. He's a Spanish speaking elder. English is his first language but he was called to serve in Spanish. It's usual for an English speaking person (me) and a Spanish speaking person to be put together. Simply that means we'll be able to cover both languages. I'll have to learn a little Spanish but not enough to become fluent. 
Owensboro is in the Jasper, IN district. Elder Walker served in Jasper, IN before he came here so he knows a little about Owensboro. He said I'll have access to every food place possible. Including Chick-Fil-A and... Texas Roadhouse!! You can bet I'll be eating at Texas Roadhouse for my birthday in two weeks!

Here we go with the week!
Monday
Normal P-Day filled with Chick-Fil-A and washing clothes. Our usual family night was cancelled so we checked on a couple less actives. It was pretty weird not having church the day before. That threw everything off.

Tuesday
We met with Mr H in the morning. I don't think I've told you much about him. He's a good friend to the Rodenberg family and he's known missionaries for about 9 years. He loves the church. He's given out 2 copies of the Book of Mormon to co-workers. He loves the church-comedy movies like Church Ball. He believes every religion needs to watch those movies. Ever since he's known about the church, he's done a lot of research into its history. He knows a lot about what happened to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young and the persecution the early Saints had to endure. He said he doesn't understand why they were so persecuted. We asked him why he hasn't joined the church yet and he said he would, but his wife isn't on board yet. Apparently there was a missionary a while back who was a bit bold with her and kinda scared her off. We've been trying to mend relationships but it's been a slow process. He loves us, but his wife, not so much. She's really nice to us still, but she doesn't want to join the church yet. When we asked him if he would join he also said that he's found nothing wrong with the church. Even though he has to have been exposed to a large amount of anti-material in his research. Mr H is a cool guy. He's one of the several people here in Campbellsville who would join but for one reason or another, there's something keeping him back.

Wednesday
It was my last service day at the local church. They don't know I'm going yet. They'll be sad to find out. Later we met with Sis. Gr and watched "Choose Ye This Day" with her. She loved the video. Her grandson wasn't there to "give" me a drink.

Thursday
District Meeting. We went on exchange and I took Elder Caldwell up here to Campbellsville. We actually ran out of miles on our car today so we had to walk. Caldwell and I did A LOT of walking. We contacted several people and gave out 2 copies of the Book of Mormon. We got a couple potentials as well. It was nice to have a day like this where we just walk and try to do as much as we can. I went to Mitchell's and got my possibly last Mitchell's tie. :(

Friday
We exchanged back and did more... You guessed it!... Walking! It was basically the same as Thursday. We contacted several people and got a couple potentials. Walking, Walking, Walking, Walking, Walking, Walking, Walking, Walking, WALKING!!

Saturday
I got the transfer call on Saturday. It's pretty funny I got assigned to there because Elder Walker and I were just talking about Johnny Depp's mom a few days ago. I've learned there are a lot of famous people who have come out of Owensboro. We did more walking as the day went by.

Sunday
Sunday was filled with a lot of good byes. Pres. Brough is closing the Columbia area down. The Campbellsville elders are going to absorb it and work both areas from now on. That means one companionship will have access to ALL the members. That'll be nice. Elder Walker is staying and they're moving Elder Irwin up. Elder Bennett and I are going to drive the Columbia car up on Tuesday morning. Elder Walker knows Campbellsville and Elder Irwin knows Columbia. 

After church we ate at the Rodenbergs. They fed us curry and chocolate chip cookies. Sis. Rodenberg asked me what the number one thing I learned here was and I said it was Christlike attributes, specifically, Diligence. Campbellsville was a hard area to work. But I endured it well and will hope to be blessed for it. After the Rodenbergs, I met with Josh and Rod. Josh is a student at CU who has a full ride for soccer. He's the soccer team's goalie. He's from Nottingham, England. He has a THICK English accent. We just talked for a little while and said our good byes. Then I went around and said good bye to a few other people.
I'm happy I got to serve here. Even though there were days that just were flat out hard, this area provided me with the trials necessary to help me grow and progress further. I'd say this was well worth it.

Thank you for still being amazing! And thanks for the box! I love getting boxes!

-Elder Ben

Sis Brough: We have just finished another round of January 2016 Zone Conferences.
I have to say we have the BEST missionaries the Lord has right here in the GKLM!
The theme was REPENTING. Not just for our investigators, but it's for us as well.

There's a Cox Street here in Campbellsville!


No comments:

Post a Comment